Year 7 had a treat last Thursday when we had a talk and tour at the David Nieper Fashion House at Alfreton and it went further, as the children were also able to cover a button and make a bow! The purpose of the visit was to learn more about economic Geography and the children had come up with a few questions at school and these included:
- What is made and what are all the processes?
- What raw materials are needed?
- What factors need to be considered when you site a factory?
- Who are the garments marketed at?
- Who is in the workforce and how can you get the most out of them?
- How can you make a profit? …and do you?!
- Is the business environmentally friendly?
Year 7 were very focussed during their visit and they were engaged asking questions as well as taking in the working environment and observing how complicated it is to make a fashion garment. At the end of the visit we were kindly invited for refreshments and all received a blue, red or white cake to celebrate the Queen’s 90th birthday. It was a delicious finish to a very interesting visit.