The Learning Support Department is an integral part of the School.
Frequent liaison operates between members of the teaching and learning support staff. Pupils on the Learning Support Register are closely monitored and some may require individual specialist learning support lessons.
The main objectives of individual lessons are:
- To improve each pupil’s confidence and feeling of self-worth
- To improve literacy and/or numeracy skills so that the pupil can close the gap between current performance and true potential
- To encourage pupils (particularly the older pupils) to take an active role in their learning and to encourage them to discover their learning style
- To improve revision and study skills, particularly as pupils approach Year 8
In the main, children are attend learning support sessions during non-academic lessons or break periods in a dedicated space. Lessons are usually on a one-to-one basis so that each child's specific and particular needs can be catered for.
School-wide our teaching staff adopt multi-sensory teaching methods wherever possible, and the project-based curriculum learning in the Junior Forms lends itself ideally to this. Our weekly staff meetings ensure that all staff are aware of the needs of every child in the school and can respond appropriately and proactively to children's arising needs and provide support at all times.
Individual Educational Plans (IEP’s) are drawn up for each child who is taught in the Department, and are renewed at least twice a year. These are shared with the Headmaster, all teaching staff, the pupil concerned and their parents.
Parents are encouraged to contact the Learning Support Department for support if they feel it is needed. We believe strongly in a three-way process of child, parent and teacher collaboration.
Teachers in the Department
All teachers in the department are qualified and experienced in the classroom with additional post graduate qualifications in teaching dyslexic children and/or special needs.
- Mrs Sara Hotston BA Hons, PGCE, MA SpLD AMBDA, National SENCO Award, Head of Learning Support (Specialist teacher of Specific Learning Difficulties)
- Mrs Liz Scott BSc Hons, MSc, MA SpLD, PGCE, AMBD, Director of Studies (Specialist teacher of Specific Learning Difficulties)
- Mrs Mary Hampton, (Speech, Language & Communication Therapist)